The High Street Heroes Awards are part of the Welsh Government’s Support Your High Street Campaign, which showcases the vast array of retail outlets and services that are available on Wales’ diverse high streets and town centres. The Awards celebrate the contribution busy high streets make to the Welsh economy, as well as the role they play across communities.
The Awards encourage Wales’ communities to nominate their favourite business, community services and High Street Heroes across two award categories: High Street Favourites and High Street Hero.
There are six categories for High Street Favourites and people can vote in as many categories as they want for local retailers and service providers:
- Food and drink – examples: grocers, delis, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, convenience stores.
- Fashion, health and beauty – examples: fashion retailers, salons, pharmacies.
- Leisure, home and garden – examples: DIY and hardware, pet supplies, garden supplies, stationery and gifts.
- Professional and financial services – examples: solicitors, estate agents, travel agents.
- Eating out on the high street – examples: cafes, tea rooms, pubs and restaurants.
- Community service provider – examples: local libraries, community centres, advice and support centres.
The overall High Street Hero Award will go to an individual who people consider has done the most for their local high street and the communities that they serve. A shortlist of High Street Heroes from across Wales will be reviewed by a panel of judges, who will select an overall winner.
A certificate will be given to the winner of each category.
Nominators must reside in the UK and be aged 16 or over. Businesses eligible for nomination must be located on a local high street in Wales. “On a local high street” means within an established retail centre in a city, town or village, and not in an out-of-town retail park.
Voting for the High Street Heroes awards is online via the Support Your High Street Facebook page
Entries close on 10 August 2015. A shortlist of Heroes from across Wales will be reviewed by a panel of judges, who will select the overall High Street Hero winner, with the winners in the business categories decided by popular vote. The winners will be announced during High Street Week, which is taking place 19-26 September 2015.