What’s the project about?
Cardiff Third Sector Council (C3SC) and Diverse Cymru have been commissioned by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) Wales to develop a series of resources on equality duties in Wales for third sector organisations. These resources are about helping Welsh third sector organisations understand and use equality law in Wales.
What are the equality resources?
We’ll be developing information, letters, flyers and posters aimed at helping third sector organisations understand and use the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) and the specific duties in Wales to challenge discrimination and drive change.
Topics we’ll be covering include:
- Setting, publishing and reviewing equality objectives
- Strategic Equality Plans
- Equality Impact Assessments
- Engagement with people from protected groups
- Training for staff in public sector organisations
- Links between equality law/duties and the Well-being of Future Generations Act
Who should get involved?
We want to make sure the resources we develop work well for all third sector organisations in Wales. This includes national charities, local charities anywhere in Wales, social enterprises, associations, mutuals and co-operatives, self-help groups and community groups.
The resources are aimed at improving your knowledge of the equality duties in Wales and providing you with tools you can use to challenge public sector organisations and improve equality in Wales.
We want to hear from all third sector organisations, not just groups that work on equality issues or with particular communities. It is important these resources can be used by third sector organisations that don’t focus on equality.
Get involved in any of the following ways:
Before we start we want your thoughts on what would help you understand and use equality laws and duties and possible resources.
You can let us know your thoughts by:
- Completing our two minute online survey:
- Sending an email with your thoughts to:[email protected]
- Calling C3SC on (029) 2048 5722 and asking for Steven Honeywill
Please respond by Friday 9th March.
Attending one of our Focus Groups
We will be running three focus groups, which are free to attend.
These sessions will include an introduction to the specific equality duties for Wales, to ensure that participants are aware of the duties that resources focus on.
You’ll then get an opportunity to:
- Discuss what you want to know about the equality duties and how to use them
- Discuss what letters and resources would be useful for you and other third sector organisations
- Look at the draft briefings, template letters, posters, and leaflets and feedback on their content and wording
- Let us know what other kinds of resources would be useful
Tea and coffee will be provided at all events. All venues are accessible and first floor venues have lifts and accessible facilities. Please let us know if you have any access requirements when you register. Please also let us know if travel or other costs are a barrier to you attending.
Thursday 1st March 2018 in Cardiff.
Registration 9:45 am. Focus group: 10 am – 1 pm
Venue: Culture & Media Centre @ Loudoun, Plas Iona, Butetown, Cardiff, CF10 5HW
Friday 2nd March 2018 in Carmarthen.
Registration 9:45 am. Focus group 10 am – 1 pm
Venue: Carmarthenshire Association of Voluntary Services (CAVS), The Mount, 18 Queen Street, Carmarthen, SA31 1JT.
Thursday 8th March in Colwyn Bay.
Registration 12:45 pm. Focus group 1 pm – 4 pm
Venue: Station Court meeting rooms, above Porters Coffee Shop, 41-43 Station Road, Colwyn Bay, LL29 8BP.
Reviewing the draft resources
If you want to look at the draft information, letters, leaflets and posters, but can’t attend one of the focus groups, there are a number of ways you can do this:
- We can email you the drafts for your comments
- We can post you drafts if you’re not online
- You can phone us to provide feedback
For more information, or to book a place on a focus group, please contact C3SC:
Telephone: 029 2048 5722
Email: [email protected]