- This event has passed.
“On the Road Again?” Gypsies, Roma, Travellers Accommodation Training Day
24th April 2017 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
The Romani Cultural & Arts Company is pleased to welcome delegates to a stimulating training session named “On the Road Again?” Gypsies, Roma, Travellers accommodation’.
The Romani Cultural & Arts Company is unique – a Gypsy, Roma & Traveller-led organisation that develops the community it serves from the inside-out. They provide a deep insight into everything ‘GRT’ in a way no other organisation can.
Who should attend this training?
This course is suitable for anyone interested in ensuring that their accommodation services are inclusive and accessible for the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities. It would be particularly useful for those who work in Planning, Housing and Accommodation, Equality, Health, Education, Social Services, Public Health and the Early Years.
Why should you attend this training?
It will assist you to:
- Ensure effective engagement with the Gypsy, Roma, Traveller communities in your particular area
- Be understanding and informed in your interactions with people from the Gypsy, Roma, Traveller communities
- Be better able to assess the accommodation needs that address the Gypsy, Roma, Traveller communities in Wales
To increase awareness about the cultural diversity in Wales, to address issues and needs of Gypsy, Roma, Travellers in Wales particularly related to housing and accommodation, to inspire and improve the services and provision delivered to GRT communities and to generate trust and understanding between GRT communities and local authority service providers.
- To achieve a broader and more comprehensive understanding of the housing and accommodation needs of GRT communities, from a local authority perspective;
- To develop a level of knowledge that will enhance and inform local authority officers’ interactions with individuals and groups from the GRT communities in their areas and localities, particularly related to housing and accommodation;
- To introduce knowledge regarding the differences between Gypsy, Roma, Traveller communities and their cultures, languages and origins, insofar as is useful to participants in the training, with the aim of inspiring best practice and improving service delivery;
- To introduce to participants examples of community members who are role models and who can challenge the prevailing stereotypes of Gypsies and Travellers or the negative images of Roma, present in media and popular press;
By the end the session participants will have:
- Increased their knowledge of the culture, traditions and history of the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities (this includes a timeline of key historical events and legislation);
- Developed an understanding of diversity within the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities (that is, who are Gypsies, Roma and Travellers?);
- Increased their awareness regarding the prejudice and discrimination faced by Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities in Wales and more widely across the UK;
- Identified obstacles to access and attitudinal issues or barriers in housing, accommodation, education, health, employment, safeguarding and other public services, that inhibit the delivery of quality provision to GRT communities;
- Improved participants’ understandings of how to engage effectively with the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller community particularly over housing and accommodation issues and what they can do to address exclusion and ensure inclusion in the delivery of services;
- Developed an Action Plan that will put their learning into practice, in the workplace;
- Established a baseline of knowledge and support that can be accessed to assist officers in carrying out their statutory duties.
There will only be 50 places available so please book early to avoid disappointment. The cost for the day (to include light refreshments, lunch) is £160 per delegate, if you book before 2nd April 2017 and £180 if you book between 3rd April 2017 and 14th April 2017. Places will only be secured with a confirmed payment.
For a booking form, please email [email protected]