Racial inequality continues to exist in Cardiff, Wales and the UK. In autumn 2020, we will convene a Race Equality Taskforce to address racial discrimination and promote race equality in the city.
The Taskforce will drive coordinated and strategic action to address inequality in Cardiff, in collaboration with our public sector partners and major employers in the city. It will be responsible for advancing a programme of change and transformation to create a fairer city for our residents from ethnic minority backgrounds.
Over the summer of 2020, we will deliver a public consultation on the priority work streams of the Race Equality Taskforce to understand what our residents think are the biggest issues, and the greatest opportunities, for Cardiffians from ethnic minority backgrounds, so we can focus our thinking and resources into finding the solutions that will have the greatest impact.
Call for membership
We are seeking applications for Taskforce Membership from individuals with insight and interest in race, ethnicity and human rights, who have the ability, experience, opportunity and influence to make changes in their sector, industry and institutions or organisations.
Race Equality Taskforce Members will support the Taskforce Chair, Cllr Saeed Ebrahim, to deliver a programme of work which delivers the following objectives:
- Work with Cardiff’s communities and organisations to improve and prioritise race equality to achieve an inclusive, cohesive, thriving and representative city;
- Guide Cardiff’s policy and strategy developers to make sure race equality is included in all of their work;
- Use the Council’s convening power to advance race equality in the public, private and voluntary sector, working closely, where required, with the Cardiff Public Services Board;
- Coordinate actions and recommendations to advance race equality, focusing on priority work-streams, identified in consultation with the City’s BAME residents;
- Report on progress on race equality and the general impact of inequality and discrimination on the BAME communities of Cardiff.
Application Guidance and Application Form