Stop Smoking Wales is pleased to offer a free, 2-hour brief intervention training course.
What is brief intervention training for smoking cessation?
Brief intervention is a method of discussing smoking and quitting in a positive, non-confrontational way to encourage smokers to think about giving up and enable them to access specialist support when they are ready.
Who is the training for?
This training is suitable for all professionals who come into contact with smokers on a regular basis.
What will the training cover?
- Smoking-related issues and concerns, prevalence, recent changes to the law, the health risks of smoking and the benefits of quitting
- Understanding why people smoke and why it can be difficult to quit
- Recognising when a person may be ready to quit
- Developing practical skills to make effective brief interventions
- How to refer to Stop Smoking Wales and what the service offers
Who is delivering the training?
The training has been developed by Stop Smoking Wales practitioners. The course will be delivered through the medium of English.
How much does the training cost?
The course is free. If you book a place but are unable to attend, please let us know as soon as possible so we can offer the place to someone else. Cancellation must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the start of the course or a non-attendance fee of £45 will be charged.
How to book a place
Course dates and locations for January – March 2016 are listed on the following page. Please choose your preferred course, then complete and send the attached booking form. You will receive confirmation of your booking and pre-course information by email.
In House Brief Intervention Training
Stop Smoking Wales can deliver Brief Intervention training for specific teams and organisations. If you would like to request a training sessions please contact [email protected] or call 01792 607381. The trainer requires a large room to seat between 8 and 16 with tables and presentation facilitates. The training is 2 hours.
If you would like any further information or have any queries, please contact Stop Smoking Wales on 01792 607381.
Here are the dates for South Wales
- 19 January, 9.30 – 11.30: Seminar Room 2, Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr, Ystrad Fawr Way, Ystrad Mynach Hengoed, Caerphilly CF82 7EP
- 9 February, 1.00 – 3.00: Meeting Room, Public Health Wales, Building 1, St David’s Park, Jobs well Road Carmarthen SA31 3HB
- 22 February, 9.30 – 11.30: Mary Lennox Room, Barry Hospital, Colcot Road, Barry CF62 8YH
- 16 March, 1.00 – 3.00: Seminar Room 1 & 2, Second Floor Clockwise from Lift, Keir Hardie Health Park, Aberdare Road, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 1BZ
- 21 March, 9.30 – 11.30: Seminar Room 2, Singleton Hospital, Sketty Lane, Sketty Swansea SA2 8QA